California American Water Company (CalAm)
California American Water Company (CalAm) is a private, Class A, water supply and distribution company for approximatley 85% the Monterey Bay Penninsula  . It is a division of American Water, a national public utility founded in 1886 
In 1965 CalAm purchased the Monterey Peninsula's water system and water rights from the California Water and Telephone Company. This purchase included both the San Clemente Dam and Los Padres Dam within The Carmel River Watershed .
CalAm uses groundwater from the Carmel Alluvial Aquifer and the Seaside Aquifer using 39 wells.
CalAm Use of Carmel River Groundwater Basin: CalAm is allowed to pump 10,730 acre-feet of water from the Carmel Aquifer. Past activity indicates CalAm was over drawing water from the Carmel River causing the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) to issue Order 95-10.
In order to obtain additional water sources, CalAm is involved in numerous projects around the Monterey area.
- Coastal Water Project Desalination (see Desalination in the Central Coast Region)
- Recycled Water
- Regional Water Project
- 1965 - California American Water Company purchases southern Monterey Bay's water delivery system and Carmel River rights from California Water and Telephone Company.
- 1995 - State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) issued Order 95-10. This Oder detremined that CalAm was illegally over drafting more water out of the Carmel Rivier than the allocated 10,730 acre-feet. The SWRCB ordered CalAm to find alternative sources of water by 2015.
- 2003 - CalAm proposes the Coastal Water Project (CWP).
- 2009 - SWRCB issues cease and desist order to CalAm to stop pumping from the Carmel River by December 2016 .
- 2012 - CalAm applies for Monterey Peninsula Water Supply Project (MPWSP), a desalination plant with a slant well intake in Marina.
- California American Water website
- Monterey District Urban Water Management and Water Shortage Contigency Plan for California American Water (2006 -2010)
- American Water
- The Monterey Penninsula Water Management District and the Marina Coast Water District
- MPWSP, Project Description
- San Clemente Dam Removal
- CalAm Use of Carmel River Groundwater Basin
- Monterey Peninsula Groundwater Replenishment Project
- Los Padres Reservoir Capacity Issues
- Municipal Water Service Boundaries in Monterey
This page may contain student work completed as part of assigned coursework. It may not be accurate. It does not necessarily reflect the opinion or policy of CSUMB, its staff, or students.