Difference between revisions of "Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board (CCRWQCB)"
|Line 35:||Line 35:|
== References ==
== References ==
Revision as of 10:13, 12 April 2018
The Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board (CCRWQCB) is one of the nine boards that jointly works with the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) to sustain clean and abundant water for the residents of the state of California (Figure 1). The water boards aim to protect the environment, as well as the sustainable use of water across the state. The CCRWQCB's mission emphasizes upholding water quality standards, and taking different hydrology and topography of the region into consideration when implementing water quality plans .
California State Law
In 1969 the Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act established the nine regional boards as California's principal bodies responsible of regulating water quality. Under this statute, there are certain responsibilities of the SWRCB that don't overlap with regional boards', as seen in Figure 2. The State Water Board allocates funds, guides regional projects, and reviews regional decisions. The State Water Board is also in charge of allocating rights of surface water, whereas regional boards are to regulate point source discharges and distribute National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permits. Together, the water boards protect groundwater and surface waters of California .
Each of the nine Regional Water Boards have nine part-time members  appointed by the Governor, and confirmed by the Senate, for four-year terms . The CCRWQCB board members meet once a month either in San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Watsonville, or Salinas county offices .
Goals and Associated Projects
The CCRWQCB has established short-term, water quality goals under their "Vision of Healthy Watersheds" framework, to push the Central Coast region's water use towards the standards of the State's Global Warming Solutions Act . By the year 2025, :
- 80% of the aquatic habitat will be healthy, and the remaining 20% will exhibit positive trends towards reaching a sustainable and healthy standard
- 80% of lands located within a watershed will be properly managed to maintain essential watershed functions. The remaining 20% will show positive trends in key watershed perspectives
- 80% of groundwater in the Central Coast region will be clean, and the remaining 20% will exhibit positive trends towards key parameters of water quality in the Central Coast region.
In order to reach these goals, the CCRWQCB has implemented many projects  to control water quality in the Central Coast including but not limited to:
- The Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Programs for Managing Impaired Bodies: Each impaired water body identified under The 303d list of Impaired Waterbodies in the Central Coast Region (R3) is assigned a TMDL program to control the pollutants found.
- The Central Coast Ambient Monitoring Program: This program monitors bodies of water, providing water quality data, assuring impaired bodies' TMDL programs are furthered.
- The Basin Plan: Yearly master plan outlines water quality requirements for different uses, and associated plans to reach objectives.
- The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System: This permit program regulates point source discharge of pollutants into water bodies.
- The Ag Waiver: An order under California's Porter-Cologne Act allowing regional water boards to waive farmers' Waste Discharge Requirements during agricultural activities.
- State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB)
- Water Quality Control Plan for the Central Coast Region
- Central Coast Ambient Monitoring Program
- Surface Water Ambient Monitoring Program (SWAMP)
- The 303d list of Impaired Waterbodies in the Central Coast Region (R3)
- Ag Waiver
- Porter-Cologne Act
- / Newman, Julie. 2012. "New" Ag Waivers from two regional water quality control boards. UC Nursery and Floriculture Alliance.
- / CWB (California Water Board). About The Water Board.
- / CWB (California Water Board). Central Coast Regional Board: About Us.
- / State of California. Federal, State, and Local Laws, Policy and Regulations. California Environmental Protection Agency. State Water Resources Control Board.
- / CWB (California Water Board). Members. Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board.
- / CWB (California Water Board). Water Boards Structure. Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board.
- / CWB (California Water Board). Agendas 2018. Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board.
- / CWB (California Water Board). Healthy Watersheds - A Vision for the Future.
- / CWB (California Water Board). Programs. Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board.