Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board (CCRWQCB)
The Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board (CCRWQCB) is one of the nine boards that jointly works with the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) to sustain clean and abundant water for the state of California . The CCRWQCB governs water for the Central Coast as one of the nine regions of the state, as seen in Figure 1. Collectively, these water boards aim to protect human use of water, as well as the environment, to ensure sustainability.
California State Law
In 1969 the Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act established these nine regional boards as California's principal water quality policy and its regulating bodies, as seen in Figure 2. Under this statute, there are certain responsibilities of the SWRCB that don't overlap with regional boards. The State Water Board allocates funds, guides regional projects and reviews regional decisions. The State Water Board is also in charge of allocating rights of surface water, whereas regional boards are to regulate discharges and distribute National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permits .
The task of protecting and enforcing the many uses of water throughout the economic, residential, and environmental aspects of the region is an ongoing challenge for the CCRWQCB. The Central Coast region protects 378 miles of coastline and 3559 square miles of groundwater basins. The area includes Santa Cruz and the Monterey Peninsula, the Salinas and Santa Maria Valleys, and the Santa Barbara Plains.  The Central Coast Regional Board's mission emphasizes enforcement of water quality, and taking different hydrology and topography of the region into consideration when implementing water quality plans .
Each Regional Board has part-time members appointed by the Governor per district, and confirmed by the Senate. Each member is appointed for a four year term. These are the seven current CCRWQCB members as of 2018 who meet once a month either in San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Watsonville, or Salinas.
- Dr. Jean-Pierre Wolff (Chair)
- Dr. Monica S. Hunter (Vice Chair)
- Karina Cervantez
- Bruce Delgado (Mayor of City of Marina)
- Jane Gray
- Michael Johnston
- Jeffrey Young
Goals and Associated Projects
CCRWQCB has established short-term, water quality goals that are beneficial to the health of its customers. . By the year 2025, these goals include:
- 80% of the aquatic habitat is healthy, and the remaining 20% is exhibiting positive trends towards reaching a sustainable and healthy standard
- 80% of lands located within a watershed will be properly managed to maintain essential watershed functions. The remaining 20% will show positive trends in key watershed perspectives
- 80% of groundwater in the Central Coast region will be clean, and the remaining 20% will exhibit positive trends towards key parameters of water quality in the Central Coast region
In order to reach these goals, the CCRWQCB has implemented many projects to control water quality in the Central Coast including but not limited to:
- The Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Programs for Managing Impaired Bodies: Each impaired water body is assigned a TMDL program to control the pollutants found.
- The Central Coast Ambient Monitoring Program: Monitoring bodies of water, providing water quality data, assuring impaired bodies' TMDL programs are furthered.
- The Basin Plan: Each regional board implements a Basin Plan to regulate water as an overall watershed.
- The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System:...
- The Ag Waiver:...
- State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB)
- Water Quality Control Plan for the Central Coast Region
- The 303d list of Impaired Waterbodies in the Monterey Bay Region
- Central Coast Ambient Monitoring Program
- Surface Water Ambient Monitoring Program (SWAMP)
- / Newman, Julie. 2012. "New" Ag Waivers from two regional water quality control boards. UC Nursery and Floriculture Alliance.
- / CWB (California Water Board). About The Water Board.
- / State of California. Federal, State, and Local Laws, Policy and Regulations. California Environmental Protection Agency. State Water Resources Control Board.
- / CWB (California Water Board). Central Coast Regional Board: About Us.
- / CWB (California Water Board). Healthy Watersheds - A Vision for the Future.