Coastal Retreat in California's Central Coast Region
This page gives a background on Coastal Retreat in California's Central Coast Region and highlights scientific findings pertaining to coastal erosion.
Rates of retreat
The Southern Monterey bay region has some of the highest coastal erosion rates in the state of California.
- Monterey: 1 ft / year
- Seaside: 3 ft/year
- Marina: 6 ft/ year
- Sea level rise
- Sand Mining in California's Central Coast Region
- Critical habitat for Special Status Animals in the Central Coast Region (including nesting habitat for the Snowy Plover)
- California Coastal Trail (CCT)
- Fort Ord Regional Trail and Greenway (FORTAG)
- Storlazzi, CD and Field, ME. 2000. Sediment distribution and transport along a rocky, embayed coast: Monterey Peninsula and Carmel Bay, California. Marine Geology 170.3: 289-316.
- Hapke CJ et al. 2006. USGS. National Assessment of Shoreline Change Part 3: Historical Shoreline Change and Associated Coastal Land Loss Along Sandy Shorelines of the California Coast
- Thornton et al. 2006. Sand Mining Impacts on Long-term Dune Erosion in Southern Monterey Bay. Marine Geology 229.1:45-58.
- Williams and Associates Ltd. 2008. Coastal Regional Sediment Management Plan For Southern Monterey Bay
- Williams and Associates Ltd. 2009. California Coastal Erosion Response to Sea Level Rise
- ESA PWA. 2012. Evaluation of Erosion Mitigation Alternatives for Southern Monterey Bay
- Revell Coastal LLC. 2016 City of Monterey Final Sea Level Rise and Vulnerability Analyses, Existing Conditions and Issues Report
- Vitousek et al. 2017. A model for integrating longshore and cross-shore processes for predicting long-term shoreline response to climate change. Journal of Geophysical Research. 122: 782-806.
- Beachapedia.org. 2018. State of the Beach/State Reports/CA/Beach Erosion
- Coastalresilience.org. 2018. Monterey Bay
- Langridge, Ruth. 2018. Central Coast Summary Report.
- Wahington Post. 2018. California will face a terrible choice: Save cliff-side homes or public beaches from rising seas
- City of Marina. 2019. Existing Conditions and Sea Level Rise Report (Draft)
- ESA. 2019. Monterey Bay Opportunistic Beach Nourishment Program
- Los Angeles Times. 2019. Sea level rise: A small California town embraces...
- Monterey Herald. 2019. Monterey advances plans to shore up eroding beaches
- National Ocean Service. 2019. Resource Issues: Coastal Armoring and Erosion
This page may contain student work completed as part of assigned coursework. It may not be accurate. It does not necessary reflect the opinion or policy of CSUMB, its staff, or students.