Groundwater Sustainability Agencies (GSAs)
The Salinas Valley Basin Groundwater Sustainability Agency (SVBGSA) was created in 2017 under the SGMA with the mission of creating and implementing a sustainable groundwater management plan by 2020 to achieve sustainable groundwater use by 2040.
The Sustainable Groundwater Management Act required that every basin of high- to medium-risk create a Sustainable Groudnwater Plan (SGP) by June 30th 2017. In the case of the Salinas Valley Basin that resulted in the creation of the SVBGSA.
The SVBGSA has a board of 11 members occupying different seats to consider different stakeholder viewpoints. These members and their focus are are:
- Adam Secondo, Secondo Farms- Agriculture, Pressure
- Bill Lipe, Rava Ranches- Agriculture, Upper Valley/Paso
- Brenda Granillo, Cal Water- CPUC Regulated Water Company
- Colby Pereira, Costa Farms- Agriculture, East Side/Langley
- Janet Brennan, LandWatch- Environment
- Lou Calcagno- Public Member
- Supervisor Luis Alejo, Monterey County- Other GSA Eligible Entity
- Mayor Joe Gunter, City of Salinas- City of Salinas
- City Manager Mike McHatten, City of Soledad- South County Cities
- Ron Stefani, Castroville CSD- Disadvantaged Community or Public Water System, including Mutual Water Companies serving residential customers
- Steve McIntyre, Monterey Pacific/McIntyre Vineyards- Agriculture, Forebay