Urban stormwater management in the Monterey Bay region
Urban stormwater management is quickly gaining the attention of the public and decision makers in the Monterey Bay Region. The Monterey Regional Management Storm Water Management Program (MRSWMP) was developed to "implement and enforce a series of management practices, referred to herein as 'Best Management Practices' (BMPs)."  The MRSWP's goal is to minimize surface runoff pollutants from entering areas of biological significance in the Monterey Bay. Efforts are being taken to reduce stormwater runoff using a multitude of methods.
Resource/s at Stake
...What environmental resource/s are at stake?...
- California American Water Monterey Bay Citizen Watershed Monitoring Network
- California Coastal Commission Monterey County Service Area 50
- California Coastal Conservancy Monterey Peninsula Regional Park District
- California Department of Fish and Game NOAA Fisheries
- California State University Monterey Bay Pebble Beach Community Service District
- California State Water Resources Control Board Pebble Beach Company
- Carmel Area Wastewater District Planning and Conservation League
- Carmel River Steelhead Association Regional Water Quality Control Board
- Carmel River Watershed Conservancy Resources Conservation District of Monterey County
- Carmel Unified School District Seaside Basin Watermaster
- Carmel Valley Association State Department of Parks & Recreation
- City of Carmel-by-the-Sea Surfrider Foundation
- City of Del Rey Oaks The Nature Conservancy
- City of Pacific Grove The Watershed Institute at CSUMB
- City of Sand City U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- City of Seaside U.S. Fish and Wildlife Serve
- Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Ventana Wilderness Society
Laws, Policies, and Regulations
- Monterey Regional Storm Water Management Program (MRSWMP) 
- Integrated Regional Water Management Plan (IRWMP)
- Porter-Cologne Act 
- Clean Water Act 
- Endangered Species Act 
- Proposition 50 
... What elements of the biophysical system are/were involved?...
...What analytical (e.g. modeling) tools were or could be used?...
...What knowledge gaps remain?... ...Suggest a CWSP MS thesis topic that could contribute to the issue... ...Suggest a topic for a hypothetical study that had unlimited resources...
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/stormwater/swmp/monterey_swmp.pdf
- ↑ TMDLs in the Monterey Bay Region of California
- ↑ http://www.mpwmd.dst.ca.us/Mbay_IRWM/RAP.pdf
- ↑ http://ccwg.mlml.calstate.edu/irwmp
- ↑ http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/laws_regulations/docs/portercologne.pdf
- ↑ http://www.epa.gov/npdes/pubs/cwatxt.txt
- ↑ http://epw.senate.gov/esa73.pdf
- ↑ http://www.cdph.ca.gov/services/funding/Documents/Prop50/General/Proposition50.pdf
- ↑ http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb/project/wine/dosdevices/z:/mit/lugia/MacData/afs.cron/project/urban-sustainability/Stormwater_Sarah%20Madden/References/Roy_etal_2008.pdf
This page may contain student work completed as part of assigned coursework. It may not be accurate. It does not necessary reflect the opinion or policy of CSUMB, its staff, or students.